Has your significant other embraced the beard trend? It looks great on some guys; others not so much. I call my hubby ‘red beard’ when his grows in because his facial hair is red (and his hair is brown). But for guys who sport the beard look year round, it’s time to embrace a new step in male grooming – beard oil! This DIY beard oil recipe is the secret to keeping beard hair soft (no more prickly kisses!) and smelling good.
This recipe is adapted a bit from Aura Cacia, one of my favorite essential oil brands. Since I didn’t have all of the essential oils they recommend (bay, cedar wood) I improvised with what I had on hand to keep the same rugged, outdoorsy guy smell. Adding whiskey completes the manly smell.
- 2 tablespoons argan oil – Substitute olive, jojoba, almond or whatever you have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon whiskey – You can replace with a different oil if you like – grapeseed is recommended. But I like how the whiskey cuts the greasiness of the oil, not to mention the aroma it adds.
- 15 drops of essential oil – Go with what you think your man will like. I kept with the outdoorsy scents and used lemongrass, fir and juniper.
My stepdad was recruited to model since he’s had a beard as long as I can remember. Once or twice he shaved it off, and I remember thinking, you don’t even look like you! Funny how that happens.
But Pat is an awesome carpenter who has been behind the scenes on several blog projects, including my favorite, this heart cutting board. Now he’s ready for his big break as a beard model.
Wouldn’t beard oil with a bottle of whiskey be the perfect DIY guy gift? This tiny jar container is from TJMaxx; I think I had to double the recipe to fill it up. This makes a great gift, pack it up with a few other shaving essentials for Father’s Day or the holidays.
DIY Beard Oil
- 2 tablespoons argan oil
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 15 drops of essential oil
- 2- ounce glass bottle with lid
- Combine ingredients in a small bottle with lid/cap.
- Shake to disperse oil. You'll probably need to shake before each use as the oil and whiskey separate.
- Pour a bit of oil to the palm of your hand and apply to beard.
Leave a Reply