I still remember the first time we received a cookies in a jar mix for Christmas from one of our neighbors. I thought the idea was brilliant, and of course, it looks pretty cool all layered in the jar. The gift jars trend doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon, so why not join in on the fun? I love peppermint mocha anything. The cookies are yummy warm from the oven and even better with a mug of peppermint mocha-spiked coffee or hot cocoa.
The key to cookies in a jar success (on the recipient end especially) is in the layering. It’s important to separate out the brown sugar so it can be creamed with the butter properly before adding the dry ingredients. The cookies mix up a bit nicer that way but if it all gets mixed together in the bowl, no real harm is done.
Use a good quality cocoa powder for an extra rich, chocolate flavor. For the peppermint element, I’ve used peppermint baking chips to accompany semi-sweet chocolate chips. The other secret to great chocolate cookies (or any chocolate recipe for that matter) is a little bit of espresso powder. It helps deepen the flavor of the chocolate and it always goes well with peppermint too. And that’s it!
Be sure to include the recipe and directions with the gift. And if you need a great hot cocoa recipe, which would also be a fabulous jar gift! It’s one everyone on your list would love, just like they’ll love these cookies!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies in a Jar Recipe
Yield 2 dozen
Layer the ingredients for these yummy, peppermint-y cookies in a jar and include directions for a fun gift.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peppermint baking chips
Needed for mixing recipe:
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a quart size jar, layer ingredients in the order given. The brown sugar can be placed in a resealable bag to keep it separate.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the egg and beat again for 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat 30 seconds more. Add the remaining ingredients from the jar a little at a time, mixing well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a small ice cream scoop or two spoons, drop dough onto the baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating baking sheets back to front and top to bottom half way through baking time for even baking. Let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, then remove from baking sheet and finish cooling on rack. Store in airtight container.