Christmas time brings out many traditions in our home. Cookie baking is at the forefront of our holiday activities and these sweet little Gingerbread Man cookies are some of our favorites. This year, I am making this gingerbread cookie recipe featuring Sugar In The Raw®. I love the rich color and flavor that the Sugar In The Raw brings to these cookies, both in the dough and as a sparkling finish on top.
Gingerbread Cookies with Real Ginger
The dough itself is unique and full of flavor from the blend of honey, Sugar In The Raw, butter, and fresh ginger. This recipe is is based on these Island Ginger Biscuits and cut and decorated like our favorite sweet gingerbread men we make every year. I received this jolly little snowman gingerbread cutter from my husband’s aunt years ago and have always loved how much personality he has.
You can use your favorite cutter and decorate each little gingerbread man cookie with whatever features you wish. I used a simple royal icing to decorate but sprinkled the cookies with a dusting of Sugar In The Raw for a beautiful sparkling finish.
These Gingerbread Man Cookies are full of natural ingredients and have become a family favorite. I can’t wait to make more to pass out to our family and friends in the coming weeks.
Gingerbread cookies with real ginger
It's not the holidays without baking cookies! Make these sweet Gingerbread Man cookies with real ginger.
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Sugar In The Raw®
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3 cups flour plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon spiced rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Royal icing and Sugar In The Raw® for decorating
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, Sugar In The Raw®, and butter over medium heat. Stir constantly until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, gently whisk together 2 cups of flour and the baking soda. Switch to paddle attachment. Add in egg yolk, rum, vanilla extract, and the cooled honey mixture. Beat on medium until well combined. Slowly add in the remaining cup of flour until dough loses it’s stickiness and becomes a ball.
Flour a work surface and roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4 inch gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out the dough.
Place cookies on prepared sheets and bake for 12 minute or until centers are set and edges are just turning golden brown. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with icing and sugar. Serve and enjoy!
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days.