Veggie bowls are versatile combination of your favorite foods, governed only by one rule: to be loaded with as many nutrients as possible. They can include raw or slightly steamed veggies, legumes, greens, grains or nuts. Cooking legumes and grains in bulk, and keeping them in airtight containers in the fridge will help you put together a veggie bowl in no time.
Spring is a great time to keep it simple when it comes to your meals. With fresh produce available in abundance again, there’s really no need to go all out preparing elaborate lunches and dinners. Plus, who wants to spend all that time in the kitchen cooking when it’s so nice out?
These nourishing veggie bowls are the perfect example of keeping it simple. A tangy lime vinaigrette dresses greens and fresh vegetables; avocado adds some richness and healthy fats, while beans give these bowls a boost of protein and some extra fiber.
And what makes these so great for spring is that you can use whatever happens to be in season—or in your fridge. Pea shoots from your CSA box got you stumped? Throw them in your veggie bowl!
Fresh corn at the farmers market looks too good to pass up? Swap the white beans for black beans, add a scoop of chunky salsa, and have a Mexican-inspired bowl. Add tofu or meat for more protein, whole grains to make your veggie bowls even more filling or your favorite nuts and seeds for a little crunch.
So many possibilities!
Nourishing Veggie Bowl
- 1 broccoli head medium
- 2 cups white beans cooked (or any other beans)
- 1 avocado ripe, peed and sliced
- 1 red onion small, finely diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups mixed greens (spinach, arugula, watercress, chard or any others that are available)
- 1 lime juice only
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the broccoli head in florets, rinse and drain.
- Steam broccoli for 5-7 minutes, until lightly cooked but still crunchy.
- Place in a large bowl, together with white beans, cherry tomatoes, and red onion.
- Add olive oil, lime juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss to combine.
- Add the greens and lightly toss again.
- Top with avocado slices.