Panera-Inspired Tomato Mozzarella Panini
Missing Panera's Tomato Mozzarella Panini now that it's off the menu? Here's how to make it at home.
For the Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes:
- 2 Roma tomatoes sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon high-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sun-Dried Tomato Spread:
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes + 1 tablespoon of oil from the jar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 large basil leaves
For the Panini:
- 1 large loaf ciabatta bread
- Sun-Dried Tomato Spread
- Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves loosely packed
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 8 slices
- Olive oil to brush grill or panini press
To make the Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes:
Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the tomato slices on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, and seasoning.
Drizzle the tomatoes with the vinegar mixture and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Bake the tomato slices for 15-20 minutes, or until they're softened and beginning to brown. Set aside.
To make the Sun-Dried Tomato Spread:
To assemble the panini:
Preheat a panini press or countertop grill to medium-high.
Cut the ciabatta bread into 4 equal sections and then cut each section in half lengthwise. Spread the sun-dried tomato mixture onto the bottom of each ciabatta section. Top with the roasted tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella slices.
Brush the grill with oil. Place the sandwiches onto the grill, close the top, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread is nicely toasted.
Serving: 1sandwichCalories: 486kcalCarbohydrates: 51.7gProtein: 15.3gFat: 25.8gSaturated Fat: 22.4gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 2g