It’s no secret that a home that smells good feels good. In fact, I used to have a roommate in college that would fake a clean house by simply pouring some Pine Sol in the sink. She said that the smell fools your brain into thinking the house was clean, when, truth be told, she hadn’t picked up a broom in about a year. And it’s true—people were always saying how clean and cozy our house was!
But nowadays the thought of filling my home with fake, chemically scents makes me a little nauseous. Instead, I prefer natural candles, relaxing room sprays, and lately, these pretty fragrance stones. They’re so easy to make (hello, only four ingredients!) and they smell amazing. Simply stash some around the house and easily fool guests into thinking you’ve just cleaned, even if it’s been a while.
How to Make Essential Oil Fragrance Stones
When I said these were easy to make, I wasn’t kidding. All you need is flour, salt, water and essential oils. Combine everything in a bowl and knead it to form a dough. Then roll the dough into small stones and let them dry overnight.
Once completely dry, you can tuck a few stones in a bowl, use as vase filler (sans water, of course) or place in small groupings around the house. I love keeping some in the kitchen, in a bowl on the coffee table and stashed around the bathroom—any place guests are sure to visit. Much like potpourri, the stones gradually release their fragrance into the air while disguising themselves as décor.
I like mine to look like plain, whitewashed stones, but feel free to get creative with these by adding flower petals, citrus peels, herbs or food coloring. Not only does it add interest but fresh herbs and flower petals will help boost the fragrance. And if you find that the scent starts to fade after a while, simply drip some essential oils onto the stones and let it sink in. It will give them a temporary boost until you decide to make some more.
Here’s how to make your own fragrance stones.
DIY Essential Oil Fragrance Stones
Yield 12 stones
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup table salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 30-40 drops essential oils
- Flower petals, grated citrus rind or food coloring (optional)
- Parchment paper
- Combine the flour, salt and boiling water in a bowl. While the water is hot, use a whisk to combine everything as best you can (it's going to thicken quickly). When it’s cool enough to touch, use your hands to knead the ingredients into a dough.
- Add the essential oils and optional ingredients (like flower petals) and continue kneading.
- Break off 1 to 2 inch pieces of dough and roll with your hands until it forms a ball. Press the ball slightly until it resembles a stone.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let dry overnight.
- Put several stones in a bowl or stash individual stones wherever you need a boost of fragrance.