Castile soap is a staple of green cleaning. It’s actually one of the first things you buy when you decide to make the switch from store-bought cleaning products (Dr. Bronner’s, anyone?). Made from vegetable oils, non-toxic and biodegradable, Castile soap is safe to use even around kids. However, it’s also powerful enough to remove stubborn oil stains or clean the oven. If that isn’t a super combo, we don’t know what is! Ready to test the versatility of Castile soap? Here are some green cleaning recipes to get you started:
6 Castile Soap Recipes for Green Cleaning
1. Herb Infused Dish Soap // Doing the dishes is never very fun, and when your dish soap dries out your hands, it’s even worse. This herb-infused recipe is made with Castile soap, aloe vera gel, and essential oils, leaving your hands soft and the dishes clean.
2. Toilet Bowl Cleaner // This toilet cleaner doesn’t just scrub the bowl, it actually helps keep gunk from building up in the first place. That means you’ll be spending less time doing this annoying chore.
3. DIY Carpet Cleaner // Remember how pretty your carpet was when it was brand new? That doesn’t have to be a thing of the past – not with this Castile soap based DIY carpet cleaner.
4. DIY Stain Remover Spray // Get rid of a variety of stains – from grape juice to ketchup – with this combination of Castile soap, glycerin, borax, super washing soda, and water.
5. DIY Bathtub Scrub // Soap scum is specially visible on a bathtub or skin that’s not white. And it looks gross! Scrub it off with this DIY recipe, made with Castile soap, tea tree essential oil, and salt.
6. Homemade Laundry Liquid Detergent // This laundry detergent relies on liquid Castile soap to clean clothes and get rid of odors, and borax and washing soda to help tackle stains. Plus it’s natural, free or harmful chemicals, and it doesn’t pollute the waterways.20